Crusty Pesto Salmon With Ham and Mushroom Tagliatelle
A recipe from Olive, typical of what we serve in Vélo Peloton Pyrénées Cycling Lodge.
Ingredients for Crusty Pesto Salmon With Ham and Mushroom Tagliatelle.
2 Salmon Pavé/Filets
1 Slice of Bread, blitzed to bread crumbs
3 tsp of Pesto
2 Slices of Prociutto or similar cured ham, chopped
150g Mushrooms, finely chopped
250ml Chicken Stock
Splash of White Wine
Splash of Cream
Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Spread half of the pesto over each piece of salmon and then press liberally with the bread crumbs, patting firmly.
- Cook for approximately 15 minutes until topping is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile add the olive oil to a heated frying pan and add the chopped ham. Cook until nice and crispy.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until golden.
- Add the splash of white wine and allow to bubble for about a minute to burn off the alcohol.
- Pour in the chicken stock and allow to bubble vigorously for approximately 4-5 minutes until reduced to about one third. Add a couple of pinches of black pepper.
- While the stock is reducing put on a pot of boiling, salted water for the pasta and cook as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the stock has been reduced add a good splash of cream and stir through.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the cream sauce and stir through.
- Remove the salmon from the oven and serve on a bed of pasta.
The topping can be varied by omitting the pesto and adding lemon zest and thyme to the breadcrumbs. Alternatively the pesto can also be replaced by black olive tapenade or your favourite curry paste.
The tagliatelle makes for a delicious dish by itself and can be turned vegetarian by substituting the chicken stock for vegetable stock, omitting the ham and adding instead some garlic and chopped onion.