Red Onion and Goat’s Cheese Tart
I serve this with a green salad as a starter in Pyrenees Cycling Lodge. You could add potato wedges to make a main course or just eat as a snack.
250g Ready-made Puff Pastry
2 Red Onions
150g Goat’s Cheese
50g Smoked Bacon
50ml Balsamic Vinegar
A Few Basil Leaves (optional)
- Finely chop the onions and fry in a little oil on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until they start to caramelise.
- Add the vinegar, reduce the heat and cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the vinegar has reduced to almost nothing and the onions are soft and syrupy.
- Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Grease a baking tray.
- Roll out the pastry to approximately 3mm.
- Score a border on the pastry about 1 cm from the edge without cutting through the pastry.
- Spread the onions evenly over the pastry.
- Add the sliced chorizo and the chopped bacon.
- Crumble the cheese over the tart.
- Pop the tray in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and the underneath is well cooked.
- Scatter the basil over the tart if using.
This tart is quite versatile and you could switch the goat’s cheese for mozzarella for example or just raid your fridge to see what needs to be used up.